Sunday, January 25, 2009

Two Left Shoes

Yesterday was an amazing day. I had the first massage of my life at age 50. The entire experience was incredible except for a minute detail which will forever cast a toothpick of a shadow on this near perfect day.

Paula and I treated our office team to a Friday seminar which was followed by a "spa" experience. After the seminar, our team had their hair done professionally for dinner that night. The dinner was at one of the finest restaurants in this Midwestern town. It was a true moving culinary experience. This pampering set the stage for the following morning which was our day at the spa.

I was told to arrive promptly at 11:15 am, which I did. I was greeted by a pleasant young lady behind a counter who gave me a form to fill out, a robe to carry and a pair of shower shoes. "You can go through the door at the left into the men's locker room, and then continue on to the sanctuary where you'll have time to fill out the form." I found my locker, removed my street shoes, readied into my spa robe and sat down to put on the shower shoes I had been given. Nice shoes, I thought, even had little nubs on the foot side to give a little pre-massage for my feet. On with the left, and then - - another left? No problem. I opened the velcro strap, placed the second left shoe on my right foot, and it seemed to work well enough. And, I had already decided that it was no big deal and that it was just more work than I needed to think about going back out in to the crowded salon area and try and explain my dilemma.

Through the next door into the "sanctuary" I was pleasantly surprised to see Paula and three of our team lounging in quiet, near darkness on soft leather chairs and sofas. Curved walls, green trees, and soft music supplemented by the sound of trickling water from a large fountain began to set the mood for time of relaxation. Paula looked up, "what do you think?" I told her that it seemed pretty neat, but that I had something she didn't have. "Look, two left feet." Everyone chuckled. I explained that they were still comfortable, but there was sure to be a lesson there for us all.

After drinking copious amounts of fresh water in champagne glasses, Paula and I were ushered deeper into the confines of this quiet place by our two massage therapists. They introduced themselves, confirmed that we were there for our "signature full body massages," and left the room briefly while we made ourselves comfortable on our massage tables. I removed both of my left shoes, and climbed onto the massage table. Under warmed blankets, I began to realize Paula was right that this would be the experience of a lifetime.

Our therapists returned to the room, and proceeded to provide a life-changing massage. She knew where every sore spot was, and claimed that in time she could even get my dentist's rolled shoulders to sit flat on the table. The hour passed quickly, and we were released back into the sanctuary to sip more fancy water with some other members of our team who were between spa services. "Nice shoes," one of the ladies quipped. "Thanks." They're special.

I have had few experiences in my life that were as relaxing and invigorating as my first massage treatment. I would return to this spa, because the people were very talented, attentive, and nice. We had, however, learned the day before about the importance of our team at the front desk of the dental office paying attention to detail. They are the front line in helping establish good relationships with our patients. They set the stage for the total experience that our patients remember in our office. We need to be vigilant to carefully avoid handing out two left shoes at the front counter or over the phone. We could be the greatest dental team in the world, but it won't help us one bit if we become known as the "two left shoes" smile center.

1 comment:

  1. You're so right! There's something about receiving two left shoes that's just too hard to forget!

    ReplyDelete